Saturday, February 7, 2009

Plumbing--What a Strange Word

So, I wake up this morning, and I smell like cigarettes. Yes, I succumbed and smoked a few. It had been three months, and now I feel kinda bad about it, but I've had my fix for another three months, I suppose. Honestly, though, it just reminded me of Chicago and how I met people out there. Now, it's a way to escape from people and remember. Point is, I smelled out-of-character, so I wanted to shower. Our hot water was not working. I have no idea if it was the water heater, or some big karmic kick in the ass for smoking, but the water is just barely lukewarm. So I take the first cold shower of my life, and it's for all the wrong reasons. Not that there are ever right reasons to take a cold shower, but there are certainly more dramatic ones. I get done with the worst shower ever, and not five minutes later, the maintenance guy comes to fix things.
Then, I go to do laundry. Georgie informs me that the washing machine is, once again, broken. So, I was supposed to go for a hike and 1, but I'm instead stuck waiting on another maintenance guy to fix the washing machine. Then I'm going to go for a really long hike, wash my towels, and take a really long, really hot shower.

In other news, my faith was restored in the power of imagination when I went to see Coraline in 3-D last night. It was whimsical and beautiful. It threw realism to the wind in everything from acknowledging Coraline's beautiful blue hair to creating a lore and a story that felt scary enough to get me out of my seat. Mr. Gaiman, Mr. Selick, bravo. I love you. The children who see this movie and got to see something new and real love you. And if they don't now, they will in the future when they realize the worlds you opened for them. Even the 3-D felt like less of a gimick than it normally does, emphasizing the bizarre world and pulling me in deeper. The past three months, I have found myself leaving more and more movies smiling. Even with life, both on mass and personal levels, being so chaotic and unpredictable, the film industry is giving me (and others, I'm sure) hope in the human spirit, in the individual's ability to influence the collective conscience. I so wish to be a part of it!

1 comment:

SABRINAAAAAAA said...

I'm helping with an event tonight to promote Coraline and I'm getting a free pass to see it!! CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!