Monday, April 6, 2009

My Weird Relationship with Certain Media

Frasier
People have called Frasier the smartest show on television. Because it is probably one of my favorite sitcoms, I beg to differ. The thing about Frasier is that all the jokes are pretty predictable. But the setup always leads to a comfortable payoff, and it makes me laugh regardless. On any other show, I only get about 70% of the jokes. With Frasier, I get 95%. It's awesome. It makes me feel like I can keep up with society.

That 70's Show
I don't get most the jokes on this sitcom, just like most others. Mostly, I just laugh when the characters make funny faces because I assume a joke was said. But it was the last show I watched with Ariel. When she got really sick and her little legs stopped working, Caleb, my mom, Michaela, and I sat around the floor with her and positioned her so that she could see the TV. At that point, she couldn't focus and was more interested in reaching toward the sound of our voices, but for some strange reason, we sat round the TV, crying and laughing and trying to get the cat to somehow feel better. I remember the episode--the one when Jackie tries to get a job. Honestly, it doesn't matter, though. What matters is that somehow, it made losing our feline family member a little easier.

The Lord of the Rings
I am sure that I've mentioned this a few times--it infiltrates every aspect of my life. Talking to my friend Dave tonight, I realized how bad it was when he was pointing out minor technical glitches in the movies and I found excuses that were altogether too legitimate. Peter Jackson would probably not have even thought to make these arguments. But seriously, sometimes, if I have had a terrible day, I just go into Middle Earth. From Moria to Gondor, I can pull a Rugrats and turn everything into that happier place (post-Sauron, of course).

Lovers in Japan by Coldplay
Something about this song makes me smile no matter what. The beginning few seconds with the quick melody line, whether in the acoustic or the original takes me someplace amazing. If I ever danced with another person, I certainly hope it is to that song. Today, on my way home, I listened to Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love three times. Then again, it was an hour-long drive...

Which brings me to MY INTERNSHIP!
I started today at Beacon. Basically, I sit behind the front desk and write coverage. It's a great job, and I like the office where I work. Writing coverage is great. Reading scripts is great. I'm excited for Friday because I start my volunteer tenure at the Writer's Guild Library.

That's it for now, I suppose. Life should settle down nicely this week with the calm before the storm of work I hope to have at Barney's. And only six days until I see my Dad!


No comments: