Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Family

My mom just informed me that she had a dream about a medical condition. She's been feeling under the weather and believes this might be the solution. Or rather, a means to the solution. I should very much like to dream questions that have answers.

Today, I spoke to my dad on the phone longer than my mom. This might be the first time that has happened in ages, and I was very glad. My dad and I don't talk as much as I'd like.

My brother has also been texting and calling me the past few days. It's funny how the more physical distance comes between us, the closer we are to becoming friends. He and I are two radically different people and probably would never have gotten to know each other were it not for the fact that we were born 19 months apart and spent our entire lives together.

Family, I suppose, is something that we have to define as we grow up; all the while, it defines us, to some extent. Regardless of the situation, for better or worse, our family (or lack thereof) influences us in so many ways--some subtle and some not.
My friend Dave, who calls me sister, often remarks that family has nothing to do with genetic relations.
No relationship, though, is by choice. We can only relate to those in our lines of communication. Circumstance brings us together, as much as we probably hate to admit it. I mentioned this in a previous post, but this concept continues to blow my mind.
Family adds a whole different layer, something I find fascinating. While I love my immediate family, about half of my extended, my parents' immediate families, are strangers. People I would not know at all outside of circumstance. Yet, for better or worse, they are in my life. Perhaps that is reassuring. Perhaps it is terrifying, but it is my life, and, to some extent, beyond my control or understanding.
I love that feeling, knowing that I am not entirely responsible for the conditions of my life. Call it irresponsible, but I think the stress of thinking otherwise is just too much.

And with that, I return to Samland with my koala and my gymnasts.

No comments: