Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Eggs, Circumstance, and High-Octane Adventure

Happy Easter. I'm glad for Jesus.

The other night, I had the most wonderful conversation with Jordan. He was talking about his favorite scene from Watchmen (which I still need to see) and he spoke of how amazing it is that people meet. Micromiracles, he said. And it's true. As if the odds of life aren't astronomical enough, the fact that people can meet and mesh is even more amazing. Take Jordan and I, for instance. We grew up in two different states, hundreds of miles apart, never knowing we were joined by tributaries of rivers (the rivers have nothing to do with anything, but for me they mean everything, but I've established this a million times). We went to the same school in Chicago and shared a major. We could have met then. We had the same class. We did meet, but we weren't friends. Then, by random assignment of a computer, we had to work together on the "What Happened in Class Today" together. We started talking. There was a memo pad involved because Jordan is a quiet person. Notsomuch anymore, but certainly when we met. Then we became friends. Jordan met Paul by pure coincidence on a film set. Paul and I met on Jordan's film. Paul and I are friends. Another prime example is Jim. Jim and I, again, by chance, were neighbors. We introduced ourselves. Two different majors. Different backgrounds. Not friends yet. I needed a composer. He makes wonderful scores. Now I consider him a close friend. Amazing. We don't really choose our friends. We can't even really look for a particular person to be our friend. It is all circumstance. Personally, I believe it is fate. Beyond just knowing and loving people, though, these people that are in our lives shape us in ways we don't even realize. Remove one, just one person, and a life becomes a different story entirely. Without Jordan or Jim (or the gazillion other people with whom I have collided), I would not be in the same circumstance I am today. Sure, I might have made it to LA. I might have been happy. But honestly, the people in my life make me so happy that it's unreal. Just talking to my new roommate, Moani (another happy accident), I told her that the past three months have been the happiest of my life. And it's so true. I was thinking about how long I've gone without a therapist, how long I've gone without a severe panic attack, and I realized it's been ages. My little disease is in remission, perhaps it's gone forever. Either way, my life, at the moment, at this very beautiful moment on Easter Sunday, is amazing. And it is not my doing. It is not the place. It is the people I know. It is the people who have supported me from afar, family and friends; it is the two wonderful people I live with; and it is the new friends I have made that make me smile. To me, today, highlighted by the miracle that is the resurrection, these beautiful people are proof that there is a God of Love watching out for all of us, even through the darkness, because, inevitably, we find light in life.

On a lighter note, I was finally free to go out last night with friends. Sunny and Haley, from my drama writing class, Chris from producing, and Jeremy from the random phone number from Nick (who is also a Columbia alum but it is wayyy more fun to say I just called his number... sorry about this...) went to see Fast and Furious. I love bad movies with film kids. We were those assholes laughing and talking through the whole movie. Get over it. It was awesomely bad. Thank you Vin Diesel for being a mostly bad actor.

Go out and celebrate. Dye some eggs. I did. First year I haven't had to share the dye or the eggs. Hell yes. (Can I say hell yes on Easter?)

No comments: