Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Procrastination: Bay, Zooey Deschanel, and Kids' Entertainment

I should be practicing for my pitch, writing e-mails, improving my treatments, turning those treatments into scripts, or editing Dave's stuff.
Instead, I'm watching Family Guy and updating this POS. But I did edit one script, fix a little of one treatment, obtain one internship and one interview, and receive a couple of awesome e-mails/messages today (and this week), so I feel like I've earned a breather. It's not like I have a boss yet.
Today, Zack Snyder, Michael Bay, and Kathryn Bigelow were in the Hollywood Reporter for their ShoWest film awards. I love it. Even their publicity photos are more epic than anyone else's. Bay, in particular, stands head and shoulders above the rest--literally, actually. As much as I want to write for young audiences, I would love to do something completely ridiculous and action-packed as Transformers or Watchmen. More than anything in the film world, it irks me when people insult his movies. He obviously has something right. $2.5 billion in worldwide gross for just seven films--Bay kicks ass. While he may not be as high brow as the Coen Brothers, he never screws with his audience (a la Burn After Reading). He just gives everyone what they want: the chance to experience explosions and fights and alien robots without any of the danger. I'll gladly suspend my disbelief that a tourist-town gets destroyed and no one notices the giant machines who did it for Mr. Bay. I think most of us would. And do. So for those puzzled by my love of Bay, there it is. He's awesome, he blows things up, and his audience (his "four quadrant" audience) loves it.

Colin gave me Zooey Deschanel's album "She & Him." Amazing, cute, and all-around lovely. Probably one of my new favorites. Zooey D. (I'm not about to try and spell her name again) kicks about as much ass as Michael Bay. Can she do no wrong?

My teen-drama show that I have in development is growing into something I really love. Niche-market writing might be my thing. I like and understand children's stories--kids' books are some of my favorites--better than anything else, and I'd be happy making a name for myself with them. If I make movies for no one over the age of 20, I would most definitely be okay with that. Perhaps I could create a show as good as iCarly. If you haven't seen it, turn on Nickelodeon and get on that. Totally great.

Alas, the work calls. More later, probably. Until then, watch Transformers or Nickelodeon.

No comments: