Wednesday, March 25, 2009

From Fraggle Rock to Spain

I look like one of Henson's Fraggles. I went in to get a hair cut last night, hoping for a fauxhawk like the one I had last spring. I came out with a real mohawk. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

This morning, I get to class and get a phone call from my mom saying that my debit card had some suspicious transactions on it. When I called the company, I learned that someone charged $430 to my card from a company in Spain. Got that taken care of. Weird.

During class, I made a remark about how I learned my lesson--until I have money, I'm going to back to Aveda Institutes. I dig student salons, especially because I know how valuable it is to people going through those programs. But honestly, that's beside the point. One of my lovely classmates then remarks that she doesn't go to the student salons as though she is too good--she doesn't need to. Her tone of voice made me want to vomit. I don't know as there is anything that offends me more than snot-nosed rich kids flaunting their ignorance and lack of real-world experience. Sure, I don't have a ton of money, but damn it, I work hard, I look decent (minus the fraggle-do) and I have just as much chance out here as they do.
To be quite frank (and aren't I always?), I am tired of being made to feel less for being a lower middle class kid daring to challenge the class system that we pretend does not exist in our culture. Every day of college was hard-earned. Yes, I had help from my parents, but damn it, they've worked hard too. My father has put his life on the line to give me this education. My mother tried to stay at home for me and my siblings and now works a part-time job in a sad, low-income grade school. I have worked since I was 16 years old, and I have busted my ass to make sure my grades could get me scholarships and that my performance in college could get me a job since nothing else will. I had a dream, and I did not keep my place. Honestly, that is part of my problem with my producing class. Most of that class--probably a good 80%, have no idea what it is like like to be made to feel so low. Most don't know what it's like to go without, to have to substitute real-world travels for books, to have to balance work and school and a perfect list of outside activities because advancing your place in society depends upon it; to have to make a $20 outfit look like $200 in order to land a job or a place among one's peers. It requires a certain amount of imagination, to be sure, and the lack of compassion and imagination in this class is astounding. As is the lack of tact, apparently.
Sure, I may be nothing like the studio execs I'm working for someday. I may not be what LA wants me to be, but damn it, I'm something just as good, if not better. As it is, the middle class is disappearing. And some of us are moving up. I plan to be one of them.

Wow... a complaint about class turned into a socio-political half-assed rant.
I would apologize, but I don't really feel that bad about it. In fact, I'm glad I said it.

In other news, I have at least one interview for an internship next week. It should be fun. I'm getting more confident in my cold-calling; hopefully that will lead somewhere as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're Hot.

And the Shit.

Fuck 'em all and make it happen.