Friday, October 9, 2009

Hebrews 12:1-2

At church on Sunday and in Connect Group on Tuesday, we read, studied, and discussed this passage:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw of everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand at the thrown of God.

For so much of my life, I have always thought of this as another "Be good for Jesus" verse. These are important, yes, but it struck me in a very profound way on Tuesday that this passage is assurance that there is a path marked for me. The race I'm running is not the aimless Hollywood rat race, whose finish line is "the top" with no reward except a long trip back down. My race is one of reward and promise, and of something beyond this life. Sure, I might not see the reward now, but I do have a path, and right now, when I feel so often like I'm floundering, this is the greatest reassurance I can have. I just have to run with perseverance. This might be the hardest part since I have been blessed thus far in my life with immediate successes for hard work. But yesterday, and this past week, I've been given many reasons to persevere - the little water stands along the marathon route, if you will.

Yesterday was my last at Jinks/Cohen. It was sad to go, but I am excited for what the future holds, and I left knowing I have four fantastic, talented, wonderful people in my corner. I learned so much, and I realized that I am doing better out here in LA than I realized. (Thank you, Michael Milberg for pointing that out!) I've made some fantastic contacts, I've got a decent house and car and friend group, one part-time job (hopefully two soon!), and a steadily growing writing portfolio.
Sure, it's lonelier than Chicago, but I'm also no longer in school, no longer meeting people through classes, and no longer in student housing with other people like me.
Slowly but surely, my friends will start to make their way out here, and I will be able to help them - to do the un-Hollywood and make sure they don't have to go through what I've gone through (in terms of loneliness).
Of course, this also means I need to be more disciplined about my writing. I need to set goals and deadlines, and I need to ensure that I have a well-rounded, well-written set of writing samples when I start looking for management in March.
So Gary will be finished in two weeks - one draft. I already know what about half my re-writes are going to be, but I need to focus on getting this damned story OUT THERE.
I had a really good idea for an action-drama, and I'm going to start researching and outlining that this week. Or now, since the other tab is opened on my browser. I'll give more details as I hash it out, but I'm excited.

Here's to a bright future - one marked out for me if I can just persevere.

No comments: