Tuesday, August 25, 2009

LA, je t'aime... Or do I?

Today is August 25th. I'm supposed to have a job by Sept. 1st or ... EEE!

SO, I think I'm going to do a countdown of the things I love and hate most about Los Angeles. One love, one hate every day. Today, I'm going to start superficial, boring, and small. My heart is a little broken with boredom, and I don't think I can be any more fair than judging this city by its weather.

The first love: no winter! I left home on a day that was so cold, my car battery froze. A frozen battery! I'm not kidding! It's so exciting that it's August and I'm not dreading the fall and winter ahead. In fact, I think I like the winter months in LA better than the summer ones. It's nuts!

The first hate: no rain! It's hot, it's dusty, it's gross. Althoug F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of Ashes was an East Coast metaphor, sometimes I feel like the eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckelberg should be mounted near the Hollywood sign, looking over the dusty, ashen city. Although I love sunny days, they start to lose their lustre when they don't start with a thunderstorm and a rainbow.

If I do get a job soon, I'm driving north to find rain.

No comments: