Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hiding in My Room Until My Roommate Leaves for Work

I can hear her walking around the house, and I really love getting up by myself, making my coffee, and drinking it in peace. Oooooh, I can hear her car pulling away.

Give me a minute to make my coffee. A couple minutes...

Nevermind, Georgie already made some. Awesome! This makes two awesome tidbits in my morning. The first is that, since my cell phone is broken, I had to download an alarm on my computer, so I got to wake up to the acoustic version of Coldplay's Lovers in Japan. Although I'm not a huge Coldplay fan, I LOVE THAT SONG, and it's awesome waking up to it. The coffee is another perk. Yes, pun intended.
Today, I also get to go to Jinks/Cohen - best part of my relentlessly boring week.

And before I go further: yesterday was my mother's birthday, and I feel like a jackass for not mentioning this since my mother is, in fact, the most amazing mother in the world. You can talk until you're blue in the face about your mother, but you'll just be kidding yourself. Mine is the best and she gives the best hugs, and she's coming to visit me in 22 days. So there. I'm sticking my tongue out at you like I'm five and you're four and I'm right and you're wrong.

Now, day three of loves and hates in LA-LA Land.

The Third Love: MOUNTAINS! (And Griffith Park) Being able to hike to the top of the foothills (still mountains by geological definition) and say "I climbed a mountain today" never gets old. Being able to hike nearly every day has been my saving grace for both mind and body. I've seen rattle snakes, coyotes, other snakes, and all kinds of cool California birds on my hike, including little hummingbirds! It's also equipped me with a better sense of direction and a feel for the actual lay of the land. This might be one of my greatest loves, like my River back home. That might be wrong, though, since NOTHING will EVER compare to the Mississippi River at the one spot where the sun rises and sets over the water called Rock Island.

The Third Hate: THE SOCIAL SCENE! Sexist, disgusting, superficial, and uncomfortable, I should probably get used to it, but I'm just not ready yet. No matter where they are going on a weekend, people dress to go out. And no matter how nice or decent or sane a guy is, if he's out in LA, he will treat any woman like some kind of prize for the duration of his time on the town. Maybe I'm nuts, and maybe I've been reading too much into feminist literature, but I was and did before moving to LA, and I was able to go out in Chicago without worrying too much that I looked good, without my goal being to attract as many fauxhawked douche bags as I can, and without having to dance. Even bars aren't like bars in Chicago, where we all went to drink or shoot the shit. People expect so much when they go out, but refuse to create fun for themselves. Forget it, I say. I miss nights on the shores of Lake Michigan when all we needed was a guitar and something to drink. I miss walking and talking and laughing - those times were more fun than the actual parties and gatherings and events. I miss three-flats in Wrigleyville and smokers and non-smokers alike mingling on patios too small for fifteen people. I miss cigar tastings and hookah bars (hookah bars here are SO WRONG) and the Music Box Theater. Maybe I'm missing something in LA, and maybe I just had good people anywhere else, and maybe I just hate driving and dressing up, but LA's social scene is as cliche as it is portrayed in the movies, and I'm tired of it already. I'm almost dreading turning 21 because my excuse to stay home will be gone.