Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Annie Awards

Last night, my friend, a storyboard artist named Todd, took me to the Annie awards. He's awesome, and super talented, and you've probably experienced his work if you've seen Muppet Babies, Prince of Egypt, some of the Madagascar films, or if you go see How to Train Your Dragon. And he introduced me to some film makers that would be my favorite if they ever asked for big flashy credit.
It was strange - these were the people that illustrated my childhood. I met an artist from Beauty and the Beast - the first movie I ever saw in a movie theater. And another who did Aladdin and Toy Story. I have spent a majority of my time in life as these people's target audiences, and I loved to see how much they loved their work, their community, and hearing from an absolutely giddy audience member.
It's such a different, lovely world from Live Action, and it's someplace would like to be. I believe I am going to make it a point to learn to draw. I really loved last night, and it was awesome.
Minnie Mouse gave tribute to Mickey, who passed away this past year. Goofy and Donald helped, and it was truly one of the most beautiful moments I've ever seen. They changed their voices, and suddenly the whole of their persons changed into the characters I grew up knowing and loving. It was actual magic, and it shows the power film can have when truly passionate and caring people come together in a positive way!

No comments: