Sunday, January 31, 2010

Welcome to Church, Enjoy the Show

Today was a strange day capping off a strange week.
I decided to fast because this week was full of shit, and I wanted it out of my system. Starting the week fresh.
I took a hike, worked out for 30 minutes, and I felt good. Bought a desk calendar to remedy a previous fuckup, and I'm set.
So then I go to church - pretty standard on a Sunday. Only my trendy and interesting church pushed things a little too far. This week, we were encouraged to bring friends to church. Okay, great. And they have little gifts for first-time attenders. Personally, it'd be nice if they did this every week. Then people who found the place on their own would also receive a warm welcome, not just those humoring the weirdo at work.
Aaaaanyway - the service continues, and it's pretty neat. Lots of music. Creepy guy who can't clap sat next to me. And then it became showy in a way that it'd hadn't before. Instead of the usual three people on stage, everyone dressed a little hipper, and there was a guy with an acoustic guitar. And a dance team. We've had dance before, but seriously? The service proceeds, and the welcome is overwarm, the entire pastoral staff is there, and next thing I know Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror is being performed by the choir. Really? Aren't we pandering just a little? When they come back next week and realize we're still church, won't people feel a little duped? I understand putting one's best foot forward, but today was the first time since attending this particular church in LA I felt like a kid back in the Evangelical Free Church in the Midwest at the big exciting rally. Jesus was never flashy. He was certainly consistent in the way he presented people. There was no need to "lure people in." People went to him with problems or went to him when they didn't have anyplace else to go. I feel like that's common enough in LA that as long as a church presents itself as a safe place without judgment, people will come and stay and listen to what it's all about.
But the pandering was obvious, and it was slightly embarrassing. That's not my God, that's not my belief, and even I felt a little intimidated by just how trendy awesome everything was.
Oh well. No place is perfect just like no people are perfect. All is forgiven, and I will, of course, be back next week.

No comments: