Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Before I Try and Turn Out Act 2

Last night, I was discussing the romantic comedy I am writing, a title-less bastard child, with two friends--one via g-chat and one via AIM. They say scripts are our children--our darlings, if you will. And they also say it takes a village to raise a child. I do believe this might be true. I threw half-baked silly ideas at them, and threw our joking and discussion, came up with an enhanced second act. It was great. What started as me wanting to Bay it up turned a simple romantic comedy into an action caper with feminist undertones. Yes! There's way too much going on, and it's still very much a romantic comedy, but I think it's better that I get too much out on this draft, since it's the first, and then cut it from there.
I love that writing is not a solitary experience. To truly turn out a good script, one absolutely needs to be able to throw ideas around, to release them into the world for a time before pinning them to a page.
Now, I must get back to the work. Second act is always a little daunting, but now I know exactly where I'm going and what my plot points are that I need to hit.

And my final note: Three days until I return to Illinois for a visit! I cannot wait to have, on a single roll of film, pictures that include foothills, the ocean, The River, skyscrapers, and the tops of clouds (if I dare to actually look out the window of the plane). And I'll be participating in a college graduation ceremony. That seems so strange. Again, more on that later.

No comments: