Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Waiting Place, The Waiting Place

It's funny how whenever my life is most confusing, I turn to children's books. Yesterday, I reread both Oh the Places You'll Go and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and I felt at peace. I still haven't found a car, and the search is becoming more and more stressful. Plus it is a constant reminder of the imminent and drastic journey that is waiting for me on January 17th.
But isn't it exciting?
Actually, yesterday, I finally left my house and ventured into the little hell that is Rock Island. My friend Joe and I went to the budding hookah bar in The District and smoked for awhile. We discussed our future plans. He has been reading about chakras and about the hero's journey, which I just finished studying in my mystical consciousness class. I think I've slain the ogre, and the forest is waiting. The point is, we discussed this for a long while. A (former?) friend came in with another acquaintance (my accquaintance, his hook up?) and completely ignored me. For the first time in my life in Rock Island, I realized that I just didn't care and kept talking. Joe and I went along The River after we had finished with our hookah and it has never looked more beautiful. I could see so many stars, and the water was clear and cold. Snow and ice created a shimmer and I felt at home. I wasn't transient. My boxes didn't matter. My worries floated away on the ice and shimmered and became beautiful. And I remembered "He makes everything beautiful in its time." And I thanked God.
Then we heard the train whistle, so Joe and I scrambled up the bank and ran (after an hour and a half of hookah) and ran to beat it. When we reached the street, there was no train. So we laughed (after an hour and a half of hookah and running through the cold and on ice) until we could barely breathe. It felt so good. Rock Island redeemed itself for a little bit, and I remembered that no matter what, I come from The River. Nothing can stop me just like The River never stops. I'm awesome. The world is nothing but promise. And Dr. Seuss and Kate DiCamillo confirmed this for me. Love and conquer. That is all I can hope to do.

I have no idea if this made any sense, but damn it felt good.

No comments: