Friday, January 23, 2009

Getting the Koala Out

When I was small, my dad put a koala in my head. His name was Gary. He's small an gray, like all koalas. He can talk, and he can sing and dance. He's rather partial to the Blues Brothers theme song, and I'm finally sharing him with the world.
Dad's bedtime story is becoming a screen play. He's stuck with me for so long, and he has taught me to be myself, to love myself, and to pursue my dreams on my terms. I just wanna get Gary on paper so maybe other people can benefit as well. So today, I did just that. I started my outline and I wrote.

Now I want to write here.
Today, it has rained most the day. It's nice, though, that it's not ice pellets stinging my face. But that's just the weather. Nothing gets this place down. It's amazing. Yesterday, I hiked to the Hollywood sign and met a WWII veteran and former Olympian, a lovely man named Lou. He talked to us for nearly three hours and welcomed three strangers into his home. The strange thing is, everyone on the street or on the trails smiled and said hello. I just cannot get over how kind everyone is so far. Even the dogs are friendlier. In Chicago, if anyone was walking their dog, they would give you a dirty look for staring at it. Here, no one cares if you bend over and pet the dog. Actually, yesterday on the foothills, one dog actually followed us for a long while. As much as I'm alone here and know so few people, I don't feel it. In Chicago, unless I was surrounded by my friends, I felt lonely all the time. It was cold, even in the summer, and you'd be hard pressed to find a smile. Here, I feel a part of humanity and I feel human. I feel closer to my friends despite the 2000 miles distance, and I love it. To think a week ago I was scared to death and crying in my car makes me laugh.
Last night, I got connected with a few people--Columbia graduates. They were great fun, and it was awesome to have conversation and to meet new people. It makes me excited to start classes and meet even more people.

In terms of my faith, I feel like I've grown leaps and bounds even in just five days. God has truly shown his presence in my life. What's really awesome is I feel like I can say that here and face less judgment than I would back home or in Chicago. I feel my prayers again, and I can feel God's presence. Everything is working out so well, and it is clearly not my doing. He has had my back all this time, and now, in the valley, I see it. And there's no shadow of death here--it's all sunshine.

No comments: