Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hurdle #1

Before getting to the hurdle, allow me to share some positives and progress:

I've done a bit of research regarding culture and politics of Chicago in the 1970s. It was an important transitional period for the city after the tumultuous 1960s. Even today, the influence of politics of 1970s Chicago can still be seen. Just look at the city scramble as another Daly leaves the throne atop the machine today. It's been enlightening, and I have several good ideas. When I discussed these with Paul, we seemed to be on the same page. Perhaps by November 15th, I will have something after all.

Another writing assignment came my way: writing narration for The Pride of Rock Island's 2011 marching show, Pulling Strings. Marching band has been so important to me for so many reasons, and it's so exciting to be a part of it again, especially during my little sister's senior year as center drum major. This is due by Thanksgiving - it needs to be short, simple, and Poe-esque.

Now the hurdle:

In researching the story of Job, I've found I can only handle the smallest doses. For various reasons, I have been incredibly emotional lately. This heightened state of emotionality, along with the subject matter of an eternal God refusing to share our purpose or the purpose of our suffering, has lead to the first intense panic attacks I've had in months. While these fearsome 15-minute struggles are a part of the reason I started writing this script, they are not any more pleasant to experience. I may have to take this script slower than I had originally planned in order to maintain my sanity.

It's funny - no matter how much healthier I feel since the climax of my anxiety troubles in high school, I can't escape it entirely. Sure, these panic attacks have been a source of inspiration, of enlightenment, but they are so painful, so excruciating. I hope someday I can regard them as an unpleasant memory. Here's to navigating this challenge in the midst of the general insecurities that already come with writing.

No comments: