Saturday, November 7, 2009

Growing Up

So...
I got a job at Beacon Pictures as an assistant. I'm pretty stoked to have a full-time gig. I was pretty certain I wouldn't. Hollywood moves slowly, and I forget.
My 21st birthday is in 23 days. That's pretty cool.
Perhaps I'll buy a camera so I can finally start posting pictures.
It's so weird how I can actually plan on buying things now. My whole life is about to change a lot. I'll have security. I can settle down, establish routine, and create my own world. While I am beyond excited, over the past three days, a little nervousness has set in.
This is a big job, and I'm really young. I am sure I can do the work, but it's still intimidating to walk into a company like this, fresh out of college. Everything felt so transient since I left home and went to Chicago. Now there will be legitimate constancy, not just the constancy of being able to go home for the summer, but a life to myself. I hope I can manage it like a real adult. Some days, I feel like such a kid, and certainly recently more than ever. Samantha has to grow up a lot, and I'm excited, but I think there's also a sense of loss. It's funny how one phone call, one sentence offering me a job, can set a whole new direction for a life.
But I suppose that's how things go. Once moment changes a whole course and negates process. We don't grow up steadily. It happens in bursts and stumbles and small explosions.
This is my biggest burst yet. While I'm certain I will survive, I'm curious to see what I do as an adult, or someone closer to an adult that I was previously.
Good-bye, Little Sam!

No comments: