Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Coloring Books, Howl, and Chips and Cheesy Salsa

Today, I managed to scrape together 30 pages of a screenplay that might now have a direction. My coffee pot became a geyser when I forgot to put the top lid down. Steaming water spewed all over my kitchen at 6:13 a.m., and all I could do was turn off the coffee maker, clean the mess, and shut the lid. My coffee came out fine less than seven minutes later. The epiphany, of course, was that my character had a dilemma that he ignores or quite some time. I spent ten minutes wondering why my coffee maker sounded funny. Then he fixes the problem and cleans the mess. First, though, he has to acknowledge the problem. I had to walk into the kitchen. There was a moment of panic when I realized I might get hit with some steaming-hot water droplets. But what else could I do? And what else can my character do? The mess would only get bigger and more dangerous. Same with Eric (my character). So, Eric and I had an epiphany, and now things are going much, much better. In fact, I may repeat the instance in my screenplay for symbolic effect.
Also today, I got to throw around ideas for another person's screenplay. I got to use what I had learned in class to help someone else develop a wonderful idea. Granted, it's just a Production 1 film, but it can still be good. It can be a wonderful short. I am excited to put this into production.
Fairy tale tomorrow. I'm in a good mood and want to fall asleep on a high note. Alas, Aurelia cannot keep ending on high notes for long, so I'm going to save her for at least one more day.

Plus, my day was spent rediscovering past loves, not past pasts. I had my first dish of chips and cheesy salsa in five days, my first rereading of Howl in about three months, and my first coloring book in countless years. All glorious; all reminders of why I should love myself. The chips and cheesy salsa are just delicious, and my taste-buds are meant to love that over-processed goodness. Howl --especially part 3, is not just about Rockland, but Rock(Is)land, where you, my dear reader, would wind up madder than me, because I've survived the damned thing. And the small triumph of finishing the picture with all the colors in their place in the lines is most wonderful.

Good night, good night!

No comments: