Monday, September 8, 2008

Hellweek, Revisited

I am still alive after last week. There is a God, and he does perform miracles.
When I arrived at my apartment in Chicago, a monster had set up a lair in what I thought would be my own little 26th floor paradise. Not wanting to disturb her monstrosity, I switched rooms only to get sick with an ear infection. That was something entirely new to me. Thank goodness it wasn't mono.
Sabrina, my new roommate, was a good sport about all of this, and I'm very glad to say that I am finally unpacked and she and I have a great little 17th floor apartment that everyone should come visit. (We have two extra beds in the closet... seriously... stop by.)

Now, to tackle this semester--what may be my last in Chicago. EEE!

Somedays, I wish I could just write a fairy tale. Perhaps that will be the purpose of this blog: to create my own serial fairy tale, complete with all the magic and tragedy and romance that every good fairy tale should have.
Here goes:

Once upon a time, in a land over seas and mountains in the west, lived a beautiful girl named Aurelia. She lived alone on a broad cliff overlooking a deep and blue lake. Sometimes, she would walk down the cliff, beneath the part that jutted out over the water, and spend time along the water. Other times, she would walk the path that lead to Hardenstall, the little town nearby. She was a seamstress, so she would meet with her clients in the town, delivering newly finished dresses, trousers, and blouses for anyone who wanted really good craftsmanship. She was known throughout the nearby villages as well for her expertise in weaving fabrics, invisible stiching, and fade-resistant dyes. Everyone in Hardenstall practically worshiped her for making them the most beautiful town in the kingdom of Evars. However, for all her merits among the townspeople, Aurelia did not have many friends. She dressed plainly, sang to herself as she walked into town, and refused the advances of the town's many eligible bachelors. Many thought her touched in the head, while a few others whispered of her snobbery. You see, her skills had made her very rich, and, because she lived alone in a small cottage and dressed simply, she had saved enough money to be the richest citizen in Hardenstall. Many of the towns more decadent residents resented her for this.
So Aurelia lived her life, an unknown celebrity on the edge of a lake at the edge of a town on the edge of a great kingdom.

Stay tuned for another post...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, if this "Aurelia" or whoever is some sort of metaphor for you, then you left out the part about her super uber cool friend who wrote her awesome dress scores... or something, and how they won like billions of ridiculous awards for their collaborative work and played Guitar Hero all the time.